Ours, Yours and Mines

Historical novels set in Scotland and based on real people and events.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > I bought the book

Annie

Hi,

I bought Ours, Yours and Mines from Amazon and I didn't really know what to expect because I've never really read historical fiction before, but the fact that it was set in Scotland was the reason I bought it. I'd never really heard of miners rows but the description in the book made me feel as though I was there, standing in front of the fire and listening to everybody speak. I loved old Mrs Hamilton with her bushy eyebrows and stern face - what a character but Mary knew how to handle her. The word that comes to mind for this story is charming. It tells a real story in an easy to read style. Well worth the money.

Annie

July 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

Hello Annie,

welcome to the wonderful world of historical fiction and I am glad that I was able to introduce you to the genre. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Carmel

July 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert Maclean

It looks like I might be the first reader from Scotland to sign up to your website. I live in Muirkirk so that is what attracted me to the book. We are well aware in this part of the world of the overcrowding in the miners rows and I must say Ms McMurdo Audsley that you have captured the feel of the place. The family in the story could have been someone I knew. Although thankfully Muirkirk is not such a bleak place as the picture painted in your story (and quite rightfully so). Keir Hardie is still a man of stature around here. I would be please to recommend your book Ours Yours and Mines to others. You've done a grand job with a lot of heart.

July 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

You are the first reader from Scotland to sign up to our site Robert and thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed looking around Muirkirk in 2010 when I was researching the book and I look forward to returning to Scotland as soon as I can.

Carmel

July 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bobby Guthrie

Just ordered the book and looking forward ro reading it. http://newcumnock.wordpress.com/

p.s. My grandmother was Elizabeth McMurdo Guthrie from Auchinleck, daughter of Christina McMurdo :)

August 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

Bobby Guthrie at August 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Just ordered the book and looking forward ro reading it. http://newcumnock.wordpress.com/

p.s. My grandmother was Elizabeth McMurdo Guthrie from Auchinleck, daughter of Christina McMurdo :)

Hello Bobby,

great to hear from you and I hope you enjoy reading Ours, Yours and Mines. It seems to have made an impression on a lot of people and I am delighted that is has been received so well. I'm currently researching and writing a prequel set in and around Dumfries where previous generations of McMurdos lived so I might find that we are related.

My very best wishes

Carmel

August 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bobby Guthrie

Hello Carmel, Look foward to the prequel. Looks like we may have a McMurdo connection. Christina's older siblings were all born in Muirkirk and her father James McMurdo ws born in Durisdeer, Dumfriesshire.

August 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

Hello Bobbie,

there is a James McMurdo in our family born in 1784, I believe at Goldie Knoll Morton and it is my understanding that he emigrated to America. There were a lot of McMurdos around that area and I'd love to know if we are all somehow related. There was a very well-to-do McMurdo who was Baillie of the Burgh of Dumfries, but I believe he was a different branch of the family from mine. I've just started researching the next book - the prequel. Did you enjoy reading Ours, Yours and Mines?

September 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

*Bobby - I took the 'ie' off Guthrie and transplanted it on to 'Bobbie' - apologies.

September 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bobby Guthrie

Hello Carmel, Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner. Thoroughly enjoyed reading Ours, Yours and Mines  - a real journey round the Ayrshire coalfields and beyond.  We are indeed from the same line of McMurdos !  My grandmother Elizabeth McMurdo Guthrie was the grandaughter of James McMurdo born Muirkirk 1826, brother of Thomas McMurdo born 1816 Durrisdeer .

So that makes  James and Thomas's father George McMurdo born in Goldieknoll  1789, my great great great grandfather :)

November 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

Bobby Guthrie at November 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hello Carmel, Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner. Thoroughly enjoyed reading Ours, Yours and Mines  - a real journey round the Ayrshire coalfields and beyond.  We are indeed from the same line of McMurdos !  My grandmother Elizabeth McMurdo Guthrie was the grandaughter of James McMurdo born Muirkirk 1826, brother of Thomas McMurdo born 1816 Durrisdeer .

So that makes  James and Thomas's father George McMurdo born in Goldieknoll  1789, my great great great grandfather :)

Well hello cousin! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading Ours, Yours and Mines. I've had such terrific feedback from people saying 'I want to know what happened next' that I've decided to write the sequel next (the prequel set in 1700s will follow soon after). The second book will pick up from 1913, with George and William through WWI and WWII, to my Dad leaving Ayrshire and heading for Australia and the life he had here. He was quite the lad, so it should make interesting reading.

All the best Bobby, and say hello to any other McMurdo cousins for me!

November 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

pughugpower

I am a McMurdo in Kansas...United States. I couldn't believe my luck coming across this site. Can't wait to read this book. I am a descendent of James McMurdo who married Jane Hood, both born in Scotland. They moved to Illinois and had Thomas McMurdo who married Emaline Ellen Peyton and then gave birth to daughter Jennie Blue McMurdo. Jennie B. married Andrew B. Adams. They had Sidney Samuel, my great grandfather. Glad to join the clan of McMurdos.:)

April 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ayrgenes

Hi Carmel, I read Ours, Yours and Mines some time ago as an e-book from Amazon. Can I just say I was so pleased to come across an historical fiction so close to my heart. I can trace my family back to the early 1800's in Muirkirk, most of them being miners of one sort or another. I had discovered documents which showed me how life was so hard for that time, infant mortality, large families and life in a mining village. This book brought all that to life in such a vivid and well written story. Our families may well have been neighbours, living a hard life side by side. Then I found that a 2nd was now in print and a website....how lucky am I. Sadly the 2nd book is not in e-book form just yet, but I have gone ahead and ordered the hard copy anyway. I just can't wait to find out what happens to the family and any other similarities in fate as mine. Later most of my family moved to settle in Glasgow and have been here ever since. Others went to Canada, N Zealand and Australia.

June 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scotsnews
Site Owner

Hello ayrgenes and thanks for your post. I am so glad that you enjoyed reading Ours, Yours and Mines. I think it is the story of a lot of people at that time - it makes you realise how lucky we all are to be here. Far Across The Sea picks up the story in 1913 (where the first book ended) and goes through to the present time. It will give you a look at Scotland during the first and second world wars, and Australia in the 1950s. As with the first book, this book is also based on fact. Let me know what you think.

Best wishes
Carmel

June 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.